Fans iffy about Canadian Rapper Drake’s new album

Drake’s newest album “For All The Dogs” came out about 4 months ago and the songs featured in the album continue to trend. Although some fans did not like the album at all and had a lot to criticize about. The album “For All The Dogs” stars a wide variety of artists including :Teezo Touchdown, 21 Savage, J. Cole, Yeat, SZA, PartyNextDoor, Chief Keef, Bad Bunny, Sexyy Red, and Lil Yachty. There were 5 singles included in this album. Such as, “Slime You Out”, “8AM in Charlotte”,”First Person Shooter”, “Rich Baby Daddy”, and “You Broke My Heart”.

The album cover was designed by Drake’s son, Adonis. The album cover is a drawing of an evil dog with red eyes. 

Fans believe that Drake tried a little too hard to bring back his old music and completely failed at doing so. A fan giving a review on google says “Somehow *sigh* Even after promising a return to an older sound, Drake has found a way to disappoint once more.” Many songs on “For All The Dogs” lack energy and quality. Such as the songs “Drew A Picasso “”Bahama Promises”, “Gently (feat. Bad Bunny). A lot of the songs that featured popular artists happened to be the songs that didn’t stick out in the album. Because of these ongoing issues in Drake’s more recent albums people have been flaming him saying they can’t even pick out a handful of hits from his album. Although his album got a lot of hate at first, people started liking it more as time passed.

Looking on the positive side

The song “Virginia Beach” went viral on the music app “TikTok” for its intro which included the popular R&B artist Frank Ocean. The tiktok trending lyrics stating “I bet your mother would be proud of you”. This song has very pleasant lyrics,vocals, and beat drops. These are all factors of why the song was so successful and popular. Another amazing song on the album was “Slime You Out (feat SZA).” There are many reasons why this song ended up being in every fan’s favorite song from the album. That being, the controversy and relations between Drake and SZA in the past, as well as how SZA carried the song. SZA’s part in the song is the most played part of the song because of how beautiful her voice is and her use of words. Also, Slime You Out was the first single released before the rest of the album, so fans obviously listened to it a lot and grew love for it within the month it came out. Fans were a little iffy at first about the song called “Daylight” before a phrase from it had become viral. Before the phrase “Standing on Bidness’ ‘ became popular people thought the song was very bad and didn’t give off the old drake vibe. It included his son singing at the very end of it and people thought it was lowkey odd, including me. This was all until the song became viral on tiktok and everyone started using one of the lyrics saying “standing on business’ ‘ meaning either stand your ground or practice what you preach. Although those songs stood out, there were many flops in the album.

The constant issues within it

As I mentioned earlier, many songs on FATD were not giving the usual Drake. Going back and re-listening to the album has helped me realize that a lot of his songs on it are very forgettable.I believe that Drake could have focused more on the quality of the songs than the amount of them.  Including “All The Parties” which didn’t have a pleasant beat and wasn’t exactly lyrically pleasing. As well as “BBL Love(Interlude)”, this interlude was definitely not needed in the album. Especially because there was already another interlude and the fact that it was very slow paced and didn’t catch the attention of any of his fans. 

Overall, I would give the album a 7/10. I’m giving this rating because of how much I do like a couple of the songs. My rating would be much higher if he hadn’t included a couple of the songs that felt like repeats or just boring in general. 

By: Diana Fry

One reply to Fans iffy about Canadian Rapper Drake’s new album

1. I love the mentions of other artists throughout the article also!