Serve and Snapshot: My Tennis Evolution

It started when Addison Bausman and I, best friends, were forced to participate in a tennis unit for gym class towards the end of 8th grade. By summer break, we had been going to the school’s tennis courts very frequently and improving every day until freshman year.

When summer ended and Addison got busier, I would play with my mom or my sisters. Tennis is a sport that involves a lot of hand-eye coordination and none of my relatives had that, so I didn’t waste my money on renting indoor courts that cold season.

Once springtime arrived and girl’s tennis began, I paid my activity fee, found some old rackets, and signed up for junior varsity. Addison and I were together as a doubles team and occasionally migrated between singles and doubles.

Throughout the 2022 season, I made so many friends with the other girls on my team and I was able to play the sport I love and look forward to after-school practices thanks to the amazing JV coaches, Coach Jenna and Coach Jocelyn.
With some winning games and some losing games, we made it through our freshman year on JV and played more throughout the end of summer preparing for the next year we looked forward to.

2023 springtime tennis rolls around quicker than ever and this time I made it to the varsity team. I had brand-new tennis shoes, rackets, visors, and the confidence to practice with new players and some of my old teammates who made it with me.

Nicole Sendry became my new doubles partner and we were placed at 4 doubles. We improved greatly throughout the season together and played some amazing games while also having fun.

We had comfortable uniforms with school-spirited backpacks made to hold our rackets and whatever else we needed. Teammates brought occasional snacks and blankets to relax on as we supported our teammates once we finished our own matches.

My nana drove me to and from every game, brought food for me and my teammates, and cheered me on during every match. She got a custom-made hoodie to wear for me and at our banquet was gifted flowers for her support.

We had our banquet at the end of the season, I achieved my varsity letter and patches, and then a few months later I got my jacket! I played with Addison all throughout summer whether it was at Carlson’s courts during the day or Woodhaven’s lit-up courts at night. We plan to take lessons together this winter and prepare for the next spring season.

By: Julie Mitchell

Julie enjoys playing tennis with her friend Addison in her free time. She hates the cold but loves it when the season falls into summer before it ends.

One reply to Serve and Snapshot: My Tennis Evolution

1. Congrats on the win!!!!